Monday, May 2, 2011

So Be It.

The Gay Dating Guide

I’m down to my last few days at the job, which means there is little for me to do. I don’t do well with idle time, so my day is going quite slow, as I have run out of things to keep me busy. I still don’t have a start date for the new job, which is a bit concerning, but they did say they would not call until all the required clearances were returned to them, which always takes some time. For the most part I have accepted that I may be told at the last minute that I start on Friday, or I may have the next couple of weeks free.

Most people of learn of this think that I am so fortunate to possibly have some free time on my hands, but to be honest, I still have too much free time on my hands. I am doing more, and making an effort, but truth be told, I still tend to stay home a lot. It’s a difficult balance, because I do have my 12 year old son at home, and he still, or probably more than ever, needs careful supervision. I am taking a friend out to dinner tonight to celebrate her birthday, so it’s not like I am a shut in. It’s all just one step at a time.

I decided to take a step at making my dating/social life begin. I posted an updated photo of myself on a dating site, and sent an email introducing myself to someone who is also gay, and a parent. There is no reason why I should be taking the passive position in this new dating venture. In the past, and okay, still in the present, I often hesitate to make the first move. It’s not that I am all that shy, well, I suppose I am, but it’s more because I come with some baggage, meaning three kids. For many single gay men, the idea of kids is a deal breaker. Not that I blame them, as my kids do take up a significant amount of my time and attention. But, if I am to be blessed with another relationship in my future, then I have to accept that there are more than one gay man out there does not mind, or likes, that I have kids.

There is also the widowed thing. Oh, that. I know that for many, the idea that I am back on the market after only 18 months, might seem a bit soon. I know that I would have questions if I met someone who was open to dating after only 18 months. It’s not that there is a judgment against it, it’s just that you want to be sure that the person you start to date can really see it through. I would hate to get deep in the dating someone, only to realize that I am not ready, and to hurt that person. I know that there are also a host of reasons why a new relationship might not work, or might have some bumps in the road, so I am telling myself that this is only one factor, and to not put too much weight on it.

I am really working on self affirmation. No, I’m not taping messages all over the house, or filling my Facebook account with quotes, but just giving myself an ongoing talking to. I’m reminding myself that I am capable of loving. I am capable of being love. I have a lot to offer, and I have plenty of room to receive. I am still young, well according to my peer group at least. I don’t dare ask my son’s opinion. I still have my looks, thanks to my recent visit to a skin rejuvenation center (can you say “wrinkles no more”), and my libido has shown a recent increase, thanks to the healthy array of Internet “art” films. (I am a man, no apologies.)

So, what’s the point of this post? I seem to have forgotten momentarily. Okay, so my mind is beginning to fail me now and then. You know, some people get a bit concerned about their mind slowing down. Some have suggested Ginkgo Biloba, but to be honest, some things are better left un-remembered. If I forget the depth of my pain and grief at times, oh well, so be it. If I forget that my waist line measurement is now larger than my inseam, so bit it. If the reflection in the mirror now displays more salt than pepper, well, cover the damn mirror. Do I really need to be focusing on such details? I don’t think so.

Funny, it reminds me of the country song by Toby Keith. “I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

7 comments:

  1. it is your sense of humor that defines you. it weaves the net under you that you bounce off of to vault back into the game. i love you for that. peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin used to sing with a friend of his for local events. He sang Jimmy Buffet, 70's Rock 'n Roll and that Toby Keith song. I remember his eye brows raising and the twinkle in his eyes as he sang that line and looked right at me, giving me chills and frankly wanting to rip his clothes off right there. Thanks for the memory. I'd almost forgotten it. I'm smiling through my tears and remembering just how much I miss that husband of mine. I wish you luck with your online dating! I know there is a wonderful man out there for you, who won't be overwhelmed by the thought of a widowed man with children, but just amazed by how perfect you are for him. Have faith my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been 14 months for me, and I'm just starting to dip my toe into the online dating pool as well. I like your attitude, and I hope you have a lot of fun playing the dating game until you find the man who deserves you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hear more about that rejuvenation center. What did they do?
    I know, I know. I'm missing the point of your post. But I'm honed in on that rejuvenation. Tell! tell! but you can put it on facebook.
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rach, you will have to ask in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree that somewhere out there, there is someone looking for a person just like you and you won't have to change a thing.

    I remain in the "not interested' mode as far as dating is concerned. Kind of doubt that will change, but who knows. I have posted to a couple of freebie dating sites under 'looking for an activity partner' making it very plain that I just want to find a few friends to go out hiking and canoeing with, or painting, etc. Could be male or female. Made contact with a couple of people whom I will probably do a bit of hiking with this summer, but if it doesn't happen, no biggie (I'm back to working on the old house this summer, so pretty busy anyhow). When I think about what kind of person I would seek if I did want a relationahip, it makes me laugh. He would need plenty of gypsy blood, be a good carpenter, a vegetarian, and like both the desert and the ocean - oh, and be able to tolerate months on the road traveling with two big collies! I'm thinking that's a pretty tall order! They don't make gypsies like they used to. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  7. 18 months too early?
    I had my first dinner date with the first real boyfriend on the 18 month anniversary of Gavin's death. I was the LAST of my 2 dozen widowed friends to make it to that milestone. Believe me, I was keeping track.
    It's easy to say there's no schedule, and blah blah blah... but I anyone who thinks 18 months is unreasonable is wacky.
    Have fun and write your own schedule for everything else. You're legal!

    ReplyDelete