Monday, May 16, 2011

Went to a Garden Party-for one.


I had the most wonderful day today. I took a drive up to San Marcos, which is about 30 miles north of the city of San Diego. I wanted to go meet with a home spa dealer whom I had spoken to previously on the phone. Not sure if I'll buy anything, but it was a great conversation about how to take care of yourself in your own home. My next destination was a great nursery that I had seen when I was up there on business a couple of months ago. I didn't have time then to stop, so I had made a note to get there as soon as time allowed. Well, time allowed today.

I took a lunch break after spending an hour walking throughout the nursery. I had spotted an Indian restaurant earlier, and knew that I would have to stop for lunch. Just so you know, Indian food is this year's crack.

With the top of my car down, I drove through the beautiful city of Carlsbad, which led me to the San Diego Botanic Garden. This was my ultimate destination, and it was so worth it. I had been the fortunate recipient of a gift membership to the Gardens (thanks again Megan) and wanted to begin what I expect to be many visits. The Garden is broken down into various categories, such as the types of plants, regions, and so on. Rather than take in all in at once, I decided to carve out small portions of the Garden, and really spend some quality time appreciating what it had to offer.

Today's visit was in the Bamboo Display Garden. Now, I have this long history with bamboo, and to be honest, it is a love/hate relationship. I love the simple elegance, beauty and strength, that bamboo possesses. I hate that it grows like weeds, faster than a speeding bullet, and that I had to deal with it in my childhood home, and now in my new San Diego home.

That's it, nothing more.


I got a bit carried away this afternoon, thinking I was some kind of photo journalist. I have many photos of my day in my flickr account. Please take a look when you have some down time.

I also made several very short videos. I'll just share a few with you here, so as to not completely bore you.

First Day


A Quiet Day


Not Jay Leno


Africa

7 comments:

  1. i love seeing you and hearing you. what a great idea, though not one i will be doing. maybe the Bun. i love the gardens. what a wonderful gift. i know you will enjoy this. we all need to find some peace, a place for quiet walks and meditation. as i said before, so good to see you and hear your laugh. and you are not strange. you are great. peace, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how to type something that says - excited and so happy! oh, how much I love to hear your voice and see your face. That was awesome. yay yay yay.

    I tear up at beautiful things too. Always have. Slides into sadness, thinking how much matt noticed and loved that. Ah - beauty, sadness, beauty - round and round.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you! You made me giggle with the video . . .

    ~C~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the iPad won't play the video as I'm just seeing a big blank area on the post. Oh well, I will just have to imagine what it was like! I was able to see the photos and the video clips in your flikr gallery though. Hope you get back to the garden again soon so that you can show us more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dan, the last video (Africa) had me feeling that with empathy with you. I could feel the pull, but also the "not yet" with you. I think your feelings translated themselves into the video somehow.

    So so good to see and hear you :-)

    More soon please. I love you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess the iPad won't play the video as I'm just seeing a big blank area on the post. Oh well, I will just have to imagine what it was like! I was able to see the photos and the video clips in your flikr gallery though. Hope you get back to the garden again soon so that you can show us more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess the iPad won't play the video as I'm just seeing a big blank area on the post. Oh well, I will just have to imagine what it was like! I was able to see the photos and the video clips in your flikr gallery though. Hope you get back to the garden again soon so that you can show us more!

    ReplyDelete